This benefit allows you to potentially save on professional development related taxi fares, professional development related airfares and professional development related accommodation costs.
These expenses must be incurred in attending courses, conferences and seminars that are connected with your current employment duties and that are required for you to maintain or improve relevant skills or knowledge. Any professional development related travel that you intend to package under this item must be approved by your current immediate supervisor. Payments can be made directly to the provider or as a reimbursement back to you.
For more information on this benefit click here to view the FBT Exempt Benefit Items Fact Sheet.
How do I claim?
- a copy of a valid tax invoice for one-off or regular claims. If setting up a regular direct payment, this should include details of payments to be made (e.g. weekly, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly) and the regular due date (e.g. 15th of each month)
- proof of payment when claiming reimbursement (e.g. bank/credit card statement, copy of provider’s direct debit confirmation, payment receipt)
- a completed travel diary (required where the expense claimed involved overseas travel, or domestic travel where the period of absence is more than five days)
- a completed Travel Expense Payment Benefit Declaration
- a completed Professional Development Travel Expenses Employee’s Supervisor Declaration.